I cannot tell you how many times I hear this question (or something close), “regular people have stylist?” My answer is always the same,
“YES, and they should!”
I explain it like this, if you need your car work you call a professional, if you need a hair cut you call a professional, if you need to get in shape you call a professional, and when you need to shop, clean out your closet, update your wardrobe, pack for a special trip, attend a special event or just want to feel fabulous about yourself you should call a professional! Now, granted some of you can work on your own car, cut your own hair, and get yourself in shape without assistance or keep up with the latest styles for your body shape, budget, and lifestyle… but most people cannot. That is where I come in, a professional stylist.
Personal stylist and shoppers (virtually the same thing) can save you time, money, frustration, and dressing room tears. Here are a few things to know about stylist and what to look for if and when you want to work with one.
1. A stylist should never try and dress you in their style. My personal style is not your personal style. The thing that makes me good at my job is I can identify a client’s personal style, make a few adjustments and updates when needed and move forward with creating a closet full of easy to put on great looks for YOU. If I got to dress all my clients like me my job would be super easy!
2. If you have a stylist you should never look like a mannequin. I hate what I call “mannequin dressing.” Mannequin dressing is when you purchase the look a mannequin in the store is wearing head to toe. You don’t need a professional for that you only need a the sales person. One of the biggest benefits of having a personal stylist is that I help you curate a look and style that is all your own.
3. I am never obsessed with trends. “Trends come and go but style remains.” I am not sure who said that but it is an awesome quote. Trends are great for some people and not so great for others. All the trends are never great for one person. When the super low jeans trend was the rage, God help us if that ever comes back, I couldn’t even wear jeans because I am super long-waisted. What was low on the fit model and most of American was really really low on me, inappropriately low- I will leave it at that.
4. I can run interference with overly anxious sales people. It is a tough world out there and with the rise of online shopping sales people can get aggressive! I worked more retail than I like to recall but I was never a pushy sales woman and I am not now. I am an expert, or professional I should say, at keeping your shopping experience a happy one.
5. I will always nudge you but never push. A good stylist will nudge you into new styles, ask you try on things you think you would never wear, suggest new colors or designs but never push. My loyalty is to you my client, not to any store or designer. I hope every shopping trip is super successful but they won’t always be and sometimes instead of 5 looks we may only find 2 and a pair of shoes that you are comfortable purchasing. At times we hit the jackpot!
So there you have it, my top 5 reasons that everyone needs a personal stylist. Of course there are many more but I will keep those for another blog.